Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art opens in Fort Worth
On this day in 1982, the Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art opened in Fort Worth with sixteen paintings by Frederic Remington and thirty-four by Charles M. Russell on exhibit. The Fort Worth oilman and philanthropist Sid W. Richardson began collecting western art in the 1940s. His complete collection is owned by the Sid W. Richardson Foundation. The collection had previously been on long-term loan to the Amon Carter Museum, where it was first exhibited in January 1964. Because lack of space prevented many of the paintings from being exhibited, the collection was moved to its own museum, where fifty-six paintings are now on permanent exhibit. The museum and foundation offices are located in a replica of an 1895 building in Sundance Square.