Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thin Gravy, christened with milk, becomes Truman

November
21
1945

On this day in 1945, national media attention was focused on the small community of Truman, Texas, in eastern Dallas County. The town was earlier known as Thin Gravy, Deanville, North Mesquite, and Mesquite Tap. In 1945 its 200 residents voted to adopt the name of new president Harry S. Truman. On November 21 a sign on U.S. Highway 80 was christened with a bottle of milk, and a letter of congratulations from President Truman was read. The Truman community was absorbed by neighboring Mesquite in the 1950s.

Related Handbook Articles: