Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon
Grocery chain founder born in Tennessee
April 09, 1895

On this day in 1895, Howard Edward Butt was born in Memphis, Tennessee. While he was a child, his family moved to Kerrville, Texas, because of his father's tuberculosis. His mother, Florence Butt, opened a small grocery store there in 1905; Howard became manager of the store at the age of sixteen, and was the valedictorian of his class at Tivy High School in 1914. After serving in the navy during World War I, Butt returned to Kerrville and in 1921 made the then-daring decision to operate on a cash-and-carry basis, rather than the customary charge and deliver. After several failed attempts to expand, he opened a successful store in Del Rio in 1926 and bought three more stores in the Rio Grande valley in 1928. He opened stores in Corpus Christi in 1931, Austin in 1938, and San Antonio in 1942. In 1946 he changed his company's name to H-E-B. At the time of his death, in 1991, there were more than 170 H-E-B supermarkets, and by the end of the twentieth century H-E-B was the largest privately owned grocery chain in the nation.

Astros meet Yankees to inaugurate domed stadium
April 09, 1965

On this day in 1965, the Houston Astros played the New York Yankees in exhibition baseball in the Astrodome, the first event in the new domed stadium. The Astrodome, the first fully air-conditioned, enclosed, multipurpose sports stadium in the world, was first approved by voters in 1958. Roy M. Hofheinz had led in developing it. Over the years it was the home stadium of the Houston Astros and the Houston Oilers, among other teams. It also hosted such varied entertainments as bullfighting, rodeos, and, in 1992, the Republican National Convention. After the Oilers moved to Tennessee to become the Titans and the Astros moved to a new stadium, the Astrodome continued in use as part of an entertainment complex, the Astrodome Convention Center.

Mexico detains American sailors
April 09, 1913

On this day in 1913, federal forces in Mexico temporarily detained a group of American sailors in Tampico. Tensions were high in the port city because it had been under attack by rebels seeking to overthrow the government of Victoriano Huerta, and because U.S. President Woodrow Wilson had refused to recognize Huerta as the legitimate leader of Mexico. The commander of the American naval forces at Tampico demanded a formal apology from the government, which Huerta refused to issue. When the U.S. invaded Veracruz on April 21, rebel leader Venustiano Carranza accused Huerta of having provoked the invasion and the rebels stepped up their campaign against the government. The embattled Huerta resigned in July 1914, though he continued to entertain hopes of a comeback. In June 1915 he and Pascual Orozco Jr. were arrested in New Mexico and charged with conspiring to violate U.S. neutrality laws. Huerta died in El Paso in January 1916 of cirrhosis of the liver. Mexican and Tejano resentment of yanqui high-handedness continued, and doubtless contributed to support of the Plan of San Diego and the raids carried out on U.S. soil by Luis De la Rosa and Francisco (Pancho) Villa. Those living on both sides of the Rio Grande continued to feel the effects of the Mexican Revolution until 1920.