More Than Just eBooks
Become a Member and Get Insider Access
Founded as an independent nonprofit more than 120 years ago, the Texas State Historical Association is buoyed by its members from the Texas history community—professional historians and those who share a passion for Texas history. Our members enable us to continue offering publications, programs, and events that foster the appreciation, teaching, and understanding of Texas history. When you become a member of TSHA, you ensure these valuable resources multiply and remain accessible for all to learn about the Lone Star State’s past.
You can help build on the solid foundation laid by members of the past and present. Your membership will help us enhance and add to our history programs and publications, such as:
- The Handbook of Texas – With nearly 27,000 entries, the Handbook of Texas is the go-to encyclopedic resource on Texas history. We are constantly expanding the Handbook, and spin-off projects, such as the Handbook of Houston and the Handbook of Civil War Texas, enhance its content. Today, the Handbook reaches more than 4 million people annually across the United States and in more than 200 countries and territories around the world.
- Our Educational Programs and Educator Resources – TSHA’s classroom, extra-curricular, and online education programs are available to every 4th -12th grade student in Texas. Texas History Day and its companion programs provide structure for students to learn vital research and communication skills for future success. Additionally, TSHA provides professional development online and through regional and on-demand workshops for teachers across the state.
- TSHA Press – Since 1917, TSHA Press has published more than 235 books, many of which are in their second and third printing. Ranging from beautifully illustrated volumes to scholarly tomes to concise series on important events and places in Texas history, award-winning TSHA Press books tell both well-known and obscure stories of Texas.
- Texas Talks Webinar Series – Our newest program brings noted historians and scholars to you via your computer or laptop. In each webinar, the expert or panel of experts discusses an intriguing topic from Texas history.
Join TSHA today to support the continued publication and teaching of Texas history for future generations.
In addition to your important role in supporting the study of Texas history, you get insider access to special content and benefits exclusive to members. This includes:
- The Texas Almanac – When you join us at the Friend of Texas level and above, you will also receive the flex-bound edition of the Texas Almanac 2018-2019. The Source for All Things Texan Since 1857 features up-to-date data, maps, and information on everything from arts and culture to the weather. Special articles in this edition range from the state of water in Texas to the popularity of outdoor recreation in the Lone Star State.
- The Southwestern Historical Quarterly – You will receive four issues of the premier source of scholarly research on the history of Texas and the Southwest.
- The Riding Line Newsletter – This content-packed newsletter is sent four times a year and will keep you up-to-date on local historical happenings, recent publications, and other resources that TSHA produces for our members and the public at-large.
- Invitations to Special Events – TSHA members are invited to special events we hold throughout the state. These events include member receptions, recordings of Texas Talks, and our Annual Meeting, where you can hear the latest research in Texas history and network with fellow members.
- Access to the TSHA Digital Library – You will gain immediate access to our full library of Texas history content written and produced over the past 120 years. This includes our popular Texas Talks webinar series, more than sixty online editions of the Texas Almanac, more than 100 volumes of the Southwestern Historical Quarterly, and all current and future eBooks.
Help us share the history of Texas with individuals throughout the state, the country, and the world. Become a member today.