Abner is in east central Kaufman County on Farm Road 2727, seven miles northeast of Kaufman. The site, which bordered the College Mound community on the north, was first known as Johnson's Point. It was settled in the late 1840s by Abner Johnson, who had piloted a keelboat up the Trinity River two years before. A Johnson's Point post office was opened in 1871 but closed two years later, when service was moved to Terrell. The post office was reopened in 1885 under the name Abner. The Johnson's Point school district was established by the Kaufman County Commissioners Court in 1885. In 1890 Abner had one barber, two doctors, one general store, and a population of twenty-five. In 1896 the population was estimated at thirty-five. The Abner post office was closed in 1903, and mail was routed through Kaufman. The community finally settled down to become a quiet neighborhood of rural homes when the school district was annexed to the Kaufman school system in 1949.