Abra, TX


By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Abra, at the junction of Farm roads 1547 and 3143 in northwestern Collingsworth County, was one of thirty-nine school districts established in the county during the early 1900s. An Abra post office was established in July 1908 and remained in operation until May 1917, when the community was included in the Shamrock mail route. In 1934 the Abra school district was consolidated with that of Samnorwood. The community listed a population of ten in 1940 and was afterward eclipsed by Dozier, three miles to the east.

Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). A History of Collingsworth County and Other Stories (Wellington, Texas: Leader Printing, 1925).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Abra, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/abra-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Abra
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collingsworth County
Associated Names

Lonestar

Unity

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 35.08160700°
  • Longitude: -100.39735000°