Acworth is thirteen miles northeast of Clarksville in northern Red River County. The town was named by J. H. Cox, an early settler, for his former home, Acworth, Georgia. Frank H. Clark became postmaster when a post office was established there in 1902. The population was fifty in 1910; in 1940 the settlement had the post office, a church, a school, a store, and a population of twenty. By 1956 the post office had been closed. From 1940 through 1986 the estimated population was consistently reported as twenty. In 2000 it was fifty-two.