Adalia was twelve miles northeast of Lockhart in northeast Caldwell County. The settlement, named by early settler Walton Rife for his daughter, Ada, began in the 1870s as a center for cattle raising. By the turn of the century its economy had shifted to crops, primarily cotton, corn, and cane. A post office was established at Walton Rife's Blue Store in 1901 and discontinued in 1904. The Adalia school was consolidated with the Lytton Springs school in the 1930s. Adalia had ceased to exist by the 1970s.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Carl C. Wright, “Adalia, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 24, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/adalia-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.