Adams Store, a rural community off U.S. Highway 79 seventeen miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County, was named for the proprietor of a store that operated on Waterman's logging tram in the early 1900s. In 1940 the community had a store and a number of houses; the reported population was twenty-five. After World War II the settlement reported two businesses, but by the mid-1960s only a few scattered houses remained in the area; the estimated population in 1965 was fifty. In 2000 Adams Store was a dispersed rural community for which no recent population estimates were available.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Christopher Long, “Adams Store, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 19, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/adams-store-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.