Addielou, eleven miles northeast of Detroit in northwestern Red River County, was founded about 1910. Sam H. Patterson operated a post office in his general store there from 1916 to 1925, when rural delivery from Manchester replaced the office. The population was fifteen in 1920 and 100 in 1930; in 1940 one store and fifty persons were reported. In 1986 and in 2000 the community had a population of thirty-one.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Claudia Hazlewood, “Addielou, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/addielou-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.