Adell, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Adell is near Farm Road 1885 twelve miles northwest of Weatherford in northwest Parker County. Settlement of the site began in the late 1880s. The first business was a grocery store built and operated by J. R. Fondren in 1889. In 1890 Denton County resident B. B. Barton moved into the area and petitioned for a post office for the community. He reportedly received the suggestion for a name from Alexander Sanger, owner of the Sanger Mercantile Company in Dallas, who wanted the town named in honor of the prettiest girl in Dallas, his daughter Adell. Postal service to Adell began in 1890. At one time the town had three churches, a public school, a cotton gin, a gristmill, and a corn crusher. The population of Adell never exceeded 100. Postal service ended in 1904.

Gustavus Adolphus Holland, History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin (Weatherford, Texas: Herald, 1931; rpt. 1937).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Adell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/adell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Adell
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377918
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Parker County
Associated Names

Cream

Dry Creek 2

Fondren's Store

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.88456960°
  • Longitude: -97.92225970°
Population Counts
People Year
100 2009