Adkins, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Adkins, on Loop 1604 fourteen miles east of downtown San Antonio in eastern Bexar County, became a flag station on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway in the 1880s. The settlement was named for William Adkins Jones, who gave land for the depot and switchyard. An Adkins post office was established in 1896. In 1910 the community had two churches, a school, and a population of 100. In 1940 four businesses and a population of 150 were reported. With the expansion of nearby San Antonio and the construction of Loop 1604 the community grew, and in 1990 it had thirty-two businesses and a population of 241.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Adkins, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 03, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/adkins-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Loading