Admiral is eleven miles southwest of Baird in central Callahan County. The community, established in the late 1890s, was granted a post office in 1897; Henry L. Buchin, an early settler, became the first postmaster. During the first quarter of the twentieth century Admiral developed into a thriving farming town. In 1900 the settlement had two churches, a gin, and a population of 100. By 1914 residents were also supporting two general stores and a blacksmith. After the post office was discontinued in 1929 the community quickly declined. In 1950 Admiral had one business and a population of twenty-five. By 1980 the population had declined to eighteen. In 1989 all that was left of the town was the cemetery and a church building with no congregation.