Adsul, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Adsul is west of the main unit of E. O. Siecke State Forest, one-half mile north of Farm Road 82 and about forty-three miles north of Beaumont, in west central Newton County. B. F. Yoakum extended the Orange and Northwestern Railway north of Buna shortly after he acquired the line in 1905. As lumbermen entered the heavily forested area, a number of small towns formed around the new sawmills. Among these was Adsul, named for the Adams-Sullivan Lumber Company sawmill. A post office was established there in 1907 with James K. Sullivan as postmaster. Population at the lumber town peaked at 500. As local timber was cut out, however, the mill at Adsul was shut down, and the post office was discontinued in 1911. One 1920 estimate set the population as high as 250. Only a few scattered buildings remained in 1984.

S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Adsul, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/adsul-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Adsul
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379322
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Newton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.64298130°
  • Longitude: -93.84295680°