Aiken, TX (Shelby County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Aiken is twelve miles from Center on State Highway 7 in southwestern Shelby County. The community was purportedly named after Herman Aiken. A post office that opened there in 1889 was described in 1890 as a "country post office." By 1892, however, the community had a sawmill, a blacksmith's shop, and a school. In 1896 the population was estimated at seventy-five, and two churches, a cotton gin, and a general store had been added to the earlier institutions. The post office was closed in 1909, but Aiken remained a church and school community for farmers in the area. By 1955 the school district had been consolidated with other districts. In 1990 Aiken had a population of seventy-five and no rated businesses. In 2000 the population remained the same.

John Clements, Flying the Colors: Texas, a Comprehensive Look at Texas Today, County by County (Dallas: Clements Research, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Aiken, TX (Shelby County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/aiken-tx-shelby-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Aiken
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1350911
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Aken

Biggs

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.68989980°
  • Longitude: -94.33214660°
Population Counts
People Year
150 2009