Ajax, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Ajax was a post office community five miles southwest of Deberry and just east of the Sabine River in north central Panola County. It was established in the late 1890s. A post office opened there in 1900 with Chapple W. Rogers as postmaster. At its height the small settlement had a general store, a cotton gin and mill, and a number of houses. The post office closed in 1907, and the mail was routed through Tacoma. By the mid-1930s Ajax no longer appeared on highway maps.

John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Ajax, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ajax-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading