Akron, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Akron, also known as Lavender and Holly, was on Ray's Creek five miles north of Tyler in central Smith County. It was established in 1877 as a station on the Tyler Tap Railroad. In 1936 it consisted only of a station and two dwellings north of Pleasant Grove School on a graded and drained dirt road. The community no longer appeared on government survey maps by the 1960s.

"Post Offices and Postmasters of Smith County, Texas: 1847–1929," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1966. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Akron, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/akron-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Akron
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Associated Names

Holly

Lavender

Pleasant Grove