Alabama, TX (Trinity County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: November 1, 1994


Alabama, a rural community also known as Alabama Creek, is sixteen miles northeast of Groveton on Farm Road 357 and Alabama Creek in eastern Trinity County. The site was settled around 1865 and named for the Alabama Indians, who had moved to the area from Mississippi in the 1820s. Around 1900 the community had a store, a cotton gin, and a sawmill. A school operated there until the 1930s, when it was consolidated with the Centerville district. By the mid-1950s only scattered houses remained. The estimated population in 1990 was twenty.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Alabama, TX (Trinity County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/alabama-tx-trinity-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
November 1, 1994

Place
Alabama
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Trinity County
Associated Names

2

-Creek

Nathan

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.13504200°
  • Longitude: -94.87202700°