Alazan Bay


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


The center of Alazan Bay, a small bay opening onto Baffin Bay, is at 27°20' north latitude and 97°31' west longitude. The whole bay, at the mouth of Petronila Creek in the southeast corner of Kleberg County, is surrounded by the Laureles Division of the King Ranch. It takes its name from El Alazán, the Spanish grant of Vicente de Ynojosa, which borders the bay on the northwest. The Spanish name means "sorrel-colored" and may have referred to wild horses, cattle, or the soil.

Tom Lea, The King Ranch (2 vols., Boston: Little, Brown, 1957).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Alazan Bay,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/alazan-bay.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994