Alcedo, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Alcedo was a stop on the Texas South-Eastern Railroad a mile east of the Neches River in southwestern Angelina County. It was originally on the river, but when the Southern Lumber Company of Diboll opened a logging camp, it was moved to higher ground. An Alcedo post office opened in 1916 and operated with a brief hiatus in 1919 until in 1924, when the logging camp was closed. The community was still shown on maps as late as the mid-1930s, but most of the residents evidently left the area by the mid-1920s.

Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Alcedo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/alcedo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Loading