Alco, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Alco was on the Angelina and Neches River Railroad ten miles northeast of Lufkin in northeastern Angelina County. The settlement became a flag station around 1911 after the railroad was built from Keltys through the area. By the 1930s Alco had a sawmill, a school, and a number of houses. Around the time of World War II the sawmill closed, and the site was abandoned. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Alco, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/alco-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Alco
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381297
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Angelina County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.35213020°
  • Longitude: -94.57048380°