Aldine, TX (Harris County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 29, 2016


Aldine is on Farm Road 525, the Missouri Pacific Railroad, and the Hardy Toll Road, on the northern outskirts of Houston in central Harris County. It was originally built on the International–Great Northern Railroad and named for a local farm family. The community had a post office from 1896 until 1935, when mail was delivered from Houston. By 1914 Aldine had two general stores, a fig preserver, and several poultry breeders and dairymen. The population briefly reached 100 in 1925 but fell in the 1930s and 1940s to between thirty and forty. The Aldine schools were integrated by federal order in 1965. The community began growing again in the late 1970s. It had a population of 12,623 in 1986 and 11,133 in 1990. In 2000 the population grew to 13,979.

Durward Harvey Blackmon, An Educational Survey of a Portion of North Harris County, Texas (M. Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).

Places:
  • Communities
  • Houston
  • Upper Gulf Coast
  • East Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Aldine, TX (Harris County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/aldine-tx-harris-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 29, 2016

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Aldine
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1350960
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harris County
Associated Names

Colby

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.93244500°
  • Longitude: -95.38021490°
Population Counts
People Year
11,133 1990
13,979 2000
15,869 2010
17,857 2019