Aley, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Aley is on Farm Road 85 twenty-seven miles northwest of Athens in far northwestern Henderson County. The settlement was evidently founded soon after the Civil War. A post office operated there from 1894 to 1907. In the early 1900s J. O. Hall and W. C. Higgins operated a local general store, and by 1910 the settlement had a combination church and school, a store operated by James Burns, and a population of twenty-five. In the mid-1930s it had a population of sixty-five, two churches, a store, and a school. After World War II the population dropped to fifty and the school closed. In the early 1990s a cemetery and two stores remained. In 2000 the population was twenty.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Aley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/aley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Aley
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034834
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Henderson County
Associated Names

Flat Foot

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.32181140°
  • Longitude: -96.25719970°
Population Counts
People Year
45 2009