George G. Alford, merchant, planter, and fighter in the Texas Revolution, was born near Ithaca, New York, on June 17, 1793, the son of Capt. George G. and Elizabeth (Hulbert) Alford, Sr. During the War of 1812 he served as a lieutenant of artillery on the staff of Gen. Winfield Scott. In 1815 he moved with his family to Detroit, Michigan. About 1819 he settled in New Madrid, Missouri, where he opened a store and served as county court judge from 1822 to 1825 and as treasurer from 1834 to 1836. In the winter of 1835, at the request of Sam Houston, Alford joined the revolutionary army as quartermaster general. Shortly after the battle of San Jacinto in April 1836, he was sent by the provisional government of the Republic of Texas to New Orleans to purchase supplies for the army. Alford's group was returning with two vessels loaded with provisions, when it was intercepted by a Mexican fleet commanded by José V. Matios off Galveston. The two vessels and their cargos were seized, and Alford and the other members of the expedition were captured and imprisoned in Matamoros. Alford and his brother, Maj. Johnson H. Alford, were condemned to death but were eventually released through the intervention of President Andrew Jackson.
In April 1837 Alford settled his affairs in New Madrid and moved his family and slaves to Texas. They settled first in Nacogdoches, then in 1840 in newly organized Houston County, where Alford acquired extensive landholdings and established a plantation at what became known as Alford's Bluff, on a small rise overlooking the Trinity River. During the 1840s Alford served as justice of the peace and associate justice for Houston County and was senior warden of the first Masonic lodge in Crockett. He married Christine Lesieur, the daughter of French Canadian settlers, in 1821, while in New Madrid. She died in 1824, leaving him one daughter. About 1829 Alford married Ann Barfield, with whom he had four children. He died in Crockett on April 1, 1847, two months after his wife's death, and was buried in the Glenwood Cemetery. A state historical marker was placed at the gravesite in 1981.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every penny helps.
Please make your contribution today.
Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Carolyn Reeves Ericson, Nacogdoches, Gateway to Texas: A Biographical Directory (2 vols., Fort Worth: Arrow-Curtis Printing, 1974, 1987). History of Southeast Missouri (Chicago: Goodspeed, 1888). Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County (Chicago: Lewis, 1892; rpt., Dallas: Walsworth, 1976). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
“Alford, George G.,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed May 20, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
November 1, 1994