Miles N. Allen, early settler and member of Stephen F. Austin's second colony, was born on September 7, 1805, in Campbell County, Kentucky, the oldest son of Elizabeth (Vice) and Martin Allen. He was sent to Texas with a brother, James Bud Allen, in 1824 to plant a crop and live on the property granted to his father, now in Wharton County. He married Mary P. Dobson and had two children: James W. Allen, who married Penelope Johnston, and Elizabeth Miles Allen. Allen received a quarter league of land now in southern Austin County on May 21, 1827. It was called Eight Mile Point because of the distance from San Felipe de Austin and was on Allen's Creek, named in his honor. On November 29, 1832, Allen was issued title to three-quarters of a league of land in central Austin County. He died on May 6, 1834, at his home and is buried in the Allen Johnston Cemetery on this property.