Allendale, TX (Wichita County)


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Allendale is on Farm Road 2650 just southwest of Wichita Falls in southeastern Wichita County. The settlement was established in 1889 and named for Elbert Allen and B. Dale Hinkle. These two men, with A. D. Butcher, purchased a plot on the center block of Wichita County land from Denton County and founded Allendale. By 1892 the small farming community had a post office, a general store, and a school. The post office ceased operation in 1895, was reopened in 1903, and closed permanently sometime after 1930. The Allendale school closed sometime during the 1940s. State highway maps of 1936 showed a church and scattered dwellings at the townsite on the Burlington Northern tracks.

Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Allendale, TX (Wichita County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/allendale-tx-wichita-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Allendale
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379332
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wichita County
Associated Names

Huff

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.85759810°
  • Longitude: -98.59366790°