Allenhurst is on Caney Creek six miles northeast of Bay City in northeast Matagorda County. It was named after Allentown, Pennsylvania, the birthplace of Jeff N. Miller, an official of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, which was built through the area in 1905. Allenhurst was a stop for passenger trains from Brownsville to Houston. By the mid-1930s it was part of the Van Vleck common school district and had a church and cemetery, a number of dwellings, and a one-room frame elementary school building. By 1952 the school was gone. County highway maps for 1989 showed one business in the community, though no population count was available for the 1990 census. By 2000 the population was listed as fifty.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Rachel Jenkins, “Allenhurst, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 24, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/allenhurst-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.