Allens Creek (Austin County)


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Allen's (Allens) Creek, also known as Eight Mile Creek, rises near Sealy in southeastern Austin County (at 29°47' N, 96°10' W) and flows southeast through mostly open country for fifteen miles to its mouth on the Brazos River, two miles north of Wallis (at 29°40' N, 96°03' W). The area is gently sloping to nearly level and surfaced with loam and clay that support elm, hackberry, post oak, black hickory, and blackjack oak. Settlement along the stream began in the 1820s. The creek heads in the four-league tract that Stephen F. Austin donated to his colony as a site for its capital, San Felipe de Austin. The stream is named for Miles N. Allen, who patented a quarter league of land on the creek in 1827. It was formerly known as Eight Mile Creek because it was thought to head eight miles below San Felipe de Austin. During the late 1870s Sealy was established near the headwaters by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway on a three-acre tract purchased from the San Felipe de Austin town corporation.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Allens Creek (Austin County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/allens-creek-austin-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Allen's Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1329400
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Austin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.67134730°
  • Longitude: -96.11134870°