Alligator Creek (Leon County)


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Alligator Creek rises a mile northwest of Jewett in northwestern Leon County (at 31°22' N, 96°10' W) and flows northeast for eleven miles to its mouth on Buffalo Creek, just west of Interstate Highway 45 in extreme southern Freestone County (at 31°29' N, 96°06' W). The stream traverses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy to loamy soils. Pecan, elm, water oak, hackberry, post oak, and black hickory trees grow beside the creek. Settlement near the stream began in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1872 the International-Great Northern Railroad constructed a line through the area; Jewett, near the headwaters of the creek, and Buffalo, south of the mouth, were established as rail stations. The Cedar Creek community is located on the south bank.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Alligator Creek (Leon County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/alligator-creek-leon-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994