Almont, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Almont, twelve miles north of DeKalb in northwestern Bowie County, was named for Almont Hill, where the first houses were built. A post office was opened there in 1893 with Edwin Thompson as postmaster. In 1896 the settlement had a population of twenty-five. The post office was closed in 1904. In 1984 Almont consisted of a church, a business, and a few scattered houses.

J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Almont, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/almont-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Almont
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1351040
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bowie County
Associated Names

Shaw 1

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.59761610°
  • Longitude: -94.49659410°