Aloe, TX


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Aloe is on U.S. Highway 59 five miles southwest of Victoria in central Victoria County. The site became a stop on the Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific route, completed from Victoria to Beeville in 1889, and soon had a hotel, a Wells Fargo office, and a rural common school. The community was named for the yucca plants in the vicinity. The station was the site of Aloe Army Air Field from 1943 to 1945 and Victoria County Airport from 1949 to 1960. In 1986 the school, which joined the Victoria Independent School District as Aloe Elementary in 1951, still served the Yucca Heights residential development.

Roy Grimes, ed., 300 Years in Victoria County (Victoria, Texas: Victoria Advocate, 1968; rpt., Austin: Nortex, 1985). Victoria Advocate, Historical Edition, May 12, 1968.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Aloe, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/aloe-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Aloe
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1351041
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Victoria County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.76665760°
  • Longitude: -97.07609940°