Althea, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Althea was on Farm Road 487 in the southeastern corner of Bell County. The town was headquarters for farm and ranch operations of the Thompson F. Fowler family; the Fowler General Store and gin operated there. Althea had a store, a gin, a blacksmith shop, and a school in the early twentieth century and a post office between 1900 and 1904. It comprised one business and a population of forty in 1933, and its school, which had been part of the Williamson County School District, was consolidated with the Bartlett district in 1948. In 1964 the population had fallen to ten, and the community was no longer shown on government topographical maps.

Bell County Historical Commission, Story of Bell County, Texas (2 vols., Austin: Eakin Press, 1988). Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Althea, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/althea-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Althea
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Associated Names

Fowler's Gin

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.77320800°
  • Longitude: -97.32372300°