Altonia, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Altonia was thirteen miles southwest of San Augustine in southwestern San Augustine County. The community was granted a post office named Ransom in 1886, and in 1895 the name was changed to Altonia, supposedly for the site's location on an elevated sandy ridge. By 1914 Altonia had a general store, and in 1933 it comprised a business and twenty-five inhabitants. By the 1940s the community was no longer shown on county highway maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Altonia, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/altonia-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Altonia
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Augustine County
Associated Names

Ransom

St. Helena