Ames, TX (Liberty County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 28, 2018


Ames is at the junction of Farm Road 1909 and U.S. Highway 90, forty-two miles west of Beaumont in south central Liberty County. Once known as Rachal Station after pioneer Darius Ciriaque Rachal, Ames was renamed for a section foreman on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The community had a flag station during the Civil War and a full station by 1890. A local Catholic rectory was built in 1915. Ames had a population of twenty-five in 1930. The county set up a new voting box there in 1945. In 1972 Ames voters incorporated their town by a margin of 69 to 8. During the mid-1970s the town's population was estimated at 350, and by 1980 Ames had 1,155 residents and an array of businesses. The population was 989 in 1990 and grew to 1,079 in 2000.

Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Ames, TX (Liberty County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ames-tx-liberty-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 28, 2018

Place
Ames
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2409698
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Associated Names

Rachel Station

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.04504740°
  • Longitude: -94.73712500°
Population Counts
People Year
989 1990
1,079 2000
1,003 2010
1,168 2019