Amity, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Amity is on a country road off State Highway 36 two miles from the Brown county line and eighteen miles northwest of Comanche in the northwestern corner of Comanche County. It was settled in the 1870s; the oldest grave in Amity cemetery dates from 1877. According to one source the community chose its name because of the amicable relations of the early settlers. It had a school from 1902 to 1906. In 1940 the community had a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings. Little was altered by 1966, and in 1992 the church was still standing and the community was still listed on county maps.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Amity, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/amity-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Amity
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377934
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comanche County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.05930920°
  • Longitude: -98.88366800°