Anacacho, TX


By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Anacacho was a ranching community eleven miles southeast of Brackettville on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway, west of the Anacacho Mountains in southeastern Kinney County. A railroad depot named Leonhard is shown at the site on county maps in 1884. The community was established around the depot, chiefly by railroad employees. By 1909 the name had been changed to Anacacho. There is evidence that a game preserve was maintained near the community. By 1946 the community appears to have been abandoned.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Anacacho, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/anacacho-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Anacacho
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379343
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Kinney County
Associated Names

Leonhard

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.19107230°
  • Longitude: -100.30062880°