Anadarko Indians

By: Thomas N. Campbell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: July 1, 1995

The Anadarko (Anadaca, Anduico, Nadaco, Nandacao) Indians, a tribe of the southwestern or Hasinai division of the Caddo Indians, lived near the future boundary between Nacogdoches and Rusk counties during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries. Anadarko Creek in Rusk County received its name from these Indians. H. E. Bolton has suggested that Nabiri may have been an early name for the Anadarkos, but this has yet to be demonstrated. In the late eighteenth century, after their numbers had been greatly reduced by disease and warfare, some of the Anadarkos moved northward and lived along the Sabine River in the area that became Panola County. After the Texas Revolution they migrated westward and, at various times, had settlements along the Brazos River and between the Brazos and Trinity rivers north and northwest of present Waco. In 1854 they were placed on the Brazos Indian Reservation in the future Young County and in 1859 were removed to Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. Today their descendants live near the town of Anadarko (named for these Indians) in Caddo County, Oklahoma.

Herbert E. Bolton, "The Native Tribes about the East Texas Missions," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 11 (April 1908). Jesse Clifton Burt, Indians of the Southeast: Then and Now (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1973). John R. Swanton, Source Material on the History and Ethnology of the Caddo Indians (Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 132, Washington: GPO, 1942). Dorman H. Winfrey and James M. Day, eds., Texas Indian Papers (4 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1959–61; rpt., 5 vols., Austin: Pemberton Press, 1966).
  • Peoples
  • Native American
  • Tribes (Other)

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Thomas N. Campbell, “Anadarko Indians,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995