Charles Anderson, attorney and rancher, son of Richard Clough and Sarah (Marshall) Anderson, was born on June 1, 1814, in Louisville, Kentucky. He graduated from Miami University, Ohio, in 1833. He then became minister to Turkey at Constantinople. He was admitted to the bar in 1835 and in 1844 was elected to the Ohio Senate. Anderson married Eliza J. Brown in 1836; they had six children. He visited Texas in 1858 and in 1859 returned with his family. At San Antonio he bought a ranch, where he bred horses that he expected to sell to the United States Cavalry. He built what became the Argyle Hotel in San Antonio as his ranch headquarters. Because of his Union sympathies, Anderson was arrested and imprisoned by Col. Henry E. McCulloch in September 1861. He escaped a month later, however, and made his way back to Ohio, where he became colonel of the Ninety-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After being wounded in the battle of Stones River, he resigned his commission, on February 21, 1863. He was elected lieutenant governor of Ohio later the same year and, after the death of Governor John Brough in August 1865, served as governor until January 1866. He returned to Kentucky later that year, settling in Eddyville. Around 1874 he laid out the town of Kuttawa, and moved there in 1877. He was interested in railroad development for much of his life, as originator of the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad in Ohio and as one of the promoters of the Elizabethtown and Paducah Railroad in Kentucky. Anderson was the author of various pamphlets and speeches, including On the State of the Country (1860), The Cause of the War (1863), and Texas, Before and on the Eve of the Rebellion (1884). He was affiliated with the first Whig party and then the Republican Party, and was a lifetime Presbyterian. He died on September 2, 1895, at Paducah, Kentucky, and is buried at Kuttawa Cemetery, Kuttawa.