Angelina National Forest surrounds Sam Rayburn Reservoir off U.S. Highway 69 east of Lufkin. The preserve, which is administered by the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service, with local headquarters in Lufkin, has a total of 153,176 acres, with 58,535 acres in Angelina County, 21,011 acres in Jasper County, 9,238 acres in Nacogdoches County, and 64,392 acres in San Augustine County. The national forests in Texas were established by an act of the Texas legislature in 1933, authorizing the purchase of lands for the National Forest system. President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaimed these purchases on October 15, 1936. Angelina National Forest has five parks with campgrounds: Bouton Lake, Boykin Springs, Caney Creek, Harvey Creek, and Sandy Creek. The area consists of pine and hardwood woodlands growing on flat to gently rolling terrain. Facilities include boat ramps, hiking trails, and camping and picnicking areas.