Angelita, TX

By: Keith Guthrie

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994

Angelita was located on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway two miles south of Odem in central San Patricio County. The community originated as a shipment point for local ranchers and farmers, and John J. Welder's ranch built cattle-shipping pens there shortly after the coming of the railroad in 1904. A packing shed was soon constructed to accommodate large shipments of watermelons from nearby farms to eastern and northern markets. W. M. Spessard laid out the townsite, and a depot was built on the site of the old Nelson home. A one-room school also served as a community center and church. On April 30, 1907, Kotiet Miller was appointed the first postmaster; he was shortly succeeded by Spessard, who operated the office in his general store. Norman Smith operated the community's other store, and a cotton gin processed the crops of local farmers. Angelita's population never exceeded fifty, and as the nearby city of Odem grew, Angelita faded. The post office was discontinued and moved to Odem in June 1916. The school was in existence until 1914. The Spessards moved to Taft, Smith moved his store to Odem, the gin was moved, and the community ceased to exist.

Keith Guthrie, History of San Patricio County (Austin: Nortex, 1986).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Keith Guthrie, “Angelita, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Patricio County
  • Latitude: 27.92179000°
  • Longitude: -97.61286300°