Angus is on the Union Pacific Railroad and Interstate Highway 45, six miles south of Corsicana in Navarro County. It was established in 1871 by A. Angus and had the first hay press in that part of Texas. It was also known for its cattle industry, oil refineries, and vast amounts of fertile soil good for corn and wheat production. The first church was built in 1872 and the first school in 1874. An Angus post office opened in 1877 but was later discontinued. A money-order office was established in 1911, when the population of Angus was twenty. In 1945 the population had increased to twenty-five. In 1987 it was 244, and in 2000 it was 334.