The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now

Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Antelope Springs

General Entry

Antelope Springs (Ojos del Berrendo) was located 1½ miles south of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe tracks in northeastern Presidio County (at 30°12' N, 103°55' W). The springs, which once flowed from caliche rock, are now dry. The gentle slopes of the surrounding terrain are covered with alluvial deposits of sand and gravel. The land surface in the area is generally light reddish-brown to brown sand, clay loam, and stone. Vegetation consists of range grasses and a grove of large cottonwoods that circles the site. Antelope Springs provided water to early Indians, Spanish explorers, and Chihuahua Trail traders. In 1684 the expedition of Capt. Juan Domínguez de Mendoza passed by Antelope Springs and planted a cross at the site. In the 1880s cattlemen began using the surrounding range. Cattle overgrazed and trampled the native grasses, which had held the rainwater until it filtered into the subsurface. With the loss of the grass and the installation of a windmill well, Antelope Springs went dry.

Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981). Cecilia Thompson, History of Marfa and Presidio County, 1535–1946 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1985).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Antelope Springs,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 03, 2021,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994