Antelope, TX (Coryell County)


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Antelope was six miles north of Copperas Cove in southwestern Coryell County. Settlers arrived in the area as early as the 1850s. The school at Antelope grew as the Refuge, Table Rock, Salem, Eliga, Ross, and House Creek schools were consolidated with it. In 1920 the Antelope school had three rooms and ten grades. Residents of Antelope had to leave their homes in the early 1940s in order to make room for the Fort Hood military reservation.

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). Anice Thompson Vance et al., comps., Antelope Community, Coryell County, Texas (Temple, Texas, 1992).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Antelope, TX (Coryell County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/antelope-tx-coryell-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Antelope
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County
Associated Names

-Crossing

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.24683600°
  • Longitude: -97.87196820°