Antioch, TX (Freestone County)


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Antioch is on Farm Road 1364 six miles southeast of Fairfield in east central Freestone County. The Antioch Baptist Church was organized in 1873, and the church building was also used for a school known as East Antioch School. The school had thirteen pupils enrolled in 1893 and thirty-two in 1899. It was moved to Turlington in 1908. In 1936 the community had a church, a school, and a few scattered dwellings. By the 1960s only the church, the cemetery, and one dwelling remained.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Antioch, TX (Freestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/antioch-tx-freestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Antioch
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1351188
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.64044750°
  • Longitude: -96.28608450°