Antioch, a rural community four miles southwest of Lovelady on Farm Road 230 in southern Houston County, was probably established in the late 1880s. A post office began operating there in 1890, and by 1892 the community had two general stores, a school, two physicians, and a combination gristmill and gin. The estimated population in 1896 was thirty. In the mid-1930s only a school, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses remained. In the early 1990s only a church and cemetery marked the site.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Christopher Long, “Antioch, TX (Houston County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/antioch-tx-houston-county.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.