Antioch, six miles southeast of Carthage in central Panola County, was established before 1900. A school began operating there around 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of sixty-one. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with the Carthage school, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area. However, in 2000 the population was reported at 121.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Christopher Long, “Antioch, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/antioch-tx-panola-county.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.