Antioch, TX (Stonewall County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Antioch was about two miles west of the site of present Peacock, near the Salt Fork of the Brazos River in west central Stonewall County. The settlement was established around 1889 and grew to include two stores and a gin during the 1890s and early 1900s. The Antioch Baptist Church, established in 1895 at the Bilberry settlement near Oriana, lasted until 1918; in 1905 its membership was 135. A local school started in 1897 served also as a community center, church, and Woodmen of the World lodge. When the Stamford and Northwestern Railway laid track south of the community in 1909, citizens and merchants of Antioch moved their town to the nearby settlement of Oriana.

A History of Stonewall County (Aspermont, Texas: Stonewall County Historical Commission, 1979). Jerome R. Whitmire, The History of Stonewall County (M.A. thesis, Texas Technological College, 1936).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Antioch, TX (Stonewall County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/antioch-tx-stonewall-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Antioch
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Stonewall County
Associated Names

Oriana