Antioch, TX (Trinity County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: November 1, 1994


Antioch, a rural community on Farm Road 233 twelve miles northeast of Groveton in northeastern Trinity County, was founded after the Civil War. A school for black children was established there in 1884, and a Church of Christ around 1900. The school was closed before World War II, and in the early 1990s only the church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Antioch, TX (Trinity County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/antioch-tx-trinity-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

November 1, 1994

Place
Antioch
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381324
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Trinity County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.22379490°
  • Longitude: -95.05660210°