The Anton Wulff House, located at 107 King William Street in the King William Historic District a half mile from downtown San Antonio, is an Italianate house with a square tower, paired arch windows, and a circular bas-relief in the gable featuring a sculptured bust of Wulff's daughter Carolina, done by his son Henry. Wulff built this house around 1869 or 1870. The land was originally part of the grant made to Pedro Huizar in 1793 from the large area farmed by American Indians who lived at San Antonio de Valero Mission. Until the San Antonio River was diverted about 1926, it bordered the Wulff property, where a boathouse and bathhouse were situated. Part of the property on the Washington Street side was sold before Wulff died in 1894. His family lived in the house until 1902, when Mrs. Wulff sold it to Arthur and Elise Guenther for $7,000. In 1950 Elise Guenther's heirs sold the house to F. G. and Kathryn Antonio for $20,000. Mrs. Antonio made it into apartments. In 1964 a thin layer of pink stucco was applied to the house, and it was remodeled for use by the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners. It proved unsuitable for their needs, however. It was exempted from historic zoning when the King William Historic District was established in May 1968.
In 1974 the San Antonio Conservation Society undertook a campaign, headed by Walter Nold Mathis, to raise a fund of $100,000 to match a grant from the Sheerin Foundation to purchase the Wulff property. The cost of restoration ($250,000) was mostly paid for by a grant from the United States Economic Development Agency. In the fall of 1975 the Wulff house became the headquarters of the San Antonio Conservation Society, and that year the house was included in the King William Historic District. A Texas historic landmark medallion was placed on the house in 1976.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every penny helps.
Chris Carson and William B. McDonald, eds., A Guide to San Antonio Architecture (San Antonio Chapter, American Institute of Architects, 1986). Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). Frederick Charles Chabot, With the Makers of San Antonio (Yanaguana Society Publications 4, San Antonio, 1937). Glen E. Lich, The German Texans (San Antonio: University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, 1981). San Antonio Express, October 3, 1965. San Antonio Light, March 23, 1986.
Houses, Mansions, and Plantations
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Mary V. Burkholder,
“Anton Wulff House,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed May 16, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.