The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Aransas Pass Light Station

Christopher Long General

Aransas Pass Light Station, on Harbor Island in Aransas County, was built in 1855 by the United States government to facilitate navigation on Aransas Bay. The station has a tapered octagonal brick tower, three wooden auxiliary dwellings, and a radio shack. It is the second oldest lighthouse on the Texas coast and the oldest surviving structure in the Aransas Pass-Corpus Christi area. A state historical marker was placed at the site in 1973, and in 1977 the station was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.

Categories:

  • Architecture
  • Other Structures

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Aransas Pass Light Station,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 22, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/aransas-pass-light-station.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Loading